Wednesday 29 October 2014

Shape Your Career at Mass General Hospital

For many minorities, discrimination can be a large barrier when it comes to finding a job. While the United States has taken many measures to enforce diversity in the workforce, discrimination still exists. It is unfortunate that many members of diverse backgrounds must work harder to navigate these obstacles.  Diverse programs and career focused classes serve as a building block for minorities looking to start a career in the health or medical professions.

As a Massachusetts resident, I have had my fair share of struggles in applying for jobs and securing a stable career. I was never directly hindered from following my dreams, but I know that being a minority has contributed to this challenge. I have been overlooked and traded for non-minority candidates who were equally or less qualified.  During my senior year, I came across a fellowship program offered by the Mass General Hospital called the Hausman Workforce Diversity Program. As I reviewed the requirements I realized that this program would be a great fit for me. I eagerly awaited the results of my application. The hospital is a well known institution in MA because of its quality treatment, diverse and efficient staff. I was so excited when I received my acceptance letter to be a fellow at the Massachusetts General Hospital in the Hausman Fellowship Program. 

Participating in the fellowship program transformed my view of the world. I became more responsible; family oriented, and gained a new respect for my background and where I come from. I gained self-confidence and feel more prepared to approach life goals with a positive mindset. Aside from the guidance that I received from the doctors and mentors there, I underwent extensive healthcare, medical, and theoretical training. My experience has been invaluable and uplifting.

As a minority it is important to know that you too can accomplish anything. The Hausman Fellowship Program at the Mass General Hospital inspired me to pursue a promising career with confidence regardless of the obstacles that I may face.  You can contact the Hausman Fellowship Program at Mass General Hospital for more information or for how to apply to this all encompassing fellowship program.

No comments:

Post a Comment